Expert Author Michael Byrd
I love a good piece of salmon, but I have to admit that salmon oil is not currently floating my boat. I have been taking it for years, but lately, I've just been having the hardest time choking those little golden capsules down. I know it's good for me, but I'm tired of the two-to-four-times-daily routine and I wish there were another way. Furthermore, the off-the-shelf brand I've been taking for years is getting more and more expensive and I'm not sure I'm even getting all that much out of it other than that my armpits sometimes smell like fish...
Okay, that's a pretty terrible litany of complaints, isn't it? You got it! But it's how I felt about fish oil until very recently. I even started skipping my supplements - even though I knew it was bad for me - because I just couldn't take it. Here are three things that helped me get back on track and find a fish oil solution:
• Take it all at once
You should check with your doctor first, but most omega 3 supplements can be taken once a day rather than as scheduled (2-4 times a day). Furthermore, a more concentrated supplement will result in fewer capsules and less time spent trying to remember to take your fish oil.
• Read the fine print
Many supplements - particularly the ones that make you smell - are not even made from fish that are high in omega 3! Instead, they're filled with sardines or cod. Check the fine print to make sure that your fish oil is made with salmon and that it has been molecularly optimized to remove the forms of omega 3s that can affect your body odor.
• Ordering online may be better
Not only is online ordering more convenient, but supplements available online are often higher quality than those that you can buy off the shelf. Look for supplements made with salmon oil from salmon from the Arctic Circle, and check endorsements to make sure that organizations like the World Health Organization (WHO) or the American College of Toxicology endorse the product.
By the time I'd checked on these three things, I had a happy salmon oil situation each morning instead of a fish oil fiasco to dread each day. If you're having trouble choking your fish oil down, I suggest you check out these factors to see whether they could help solve you find a fish oil solution as well. You can learn more about omega 3 fish oil at omega-3.us.